KINDERGARTEN ENROLLMENT - 2016-17 SCHOOL YEARKindergarten is an important first step in the Palmdale School District’s educational system. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you and your child in our kindergarten program. One of the ways you can help us in our planning for next year’s kindergarten program is to enroll as early as possible.Who qualifies to enroll?
- If your child is five years old or will be five on or before September 1, 2016, your child is eligible to attend Kindergarten in August, 2016 (born on or before 9-1-2011).
- If your child will be five years old and his/her birthday falls between September 2, 2016 and December 2, 2016, your child is eligible to attend Transitional Kindergarten in August, 2016 (born on or after 9-2-2011 and on or before 12-2-2011).
- If your child will be five years old and his/her birthday falls after December 2, 2016, (born after 12-2-2011) please go to the Early Childhood Office for information about Head Start / State Preschool programs. Their office is located at 975 East Avenue P-8, Palmdale, CA.
How do I enroll my child?Beginning in February, 2016 you may pick up a packet at any school site or at the Welcome and Enrollment Center. Or you can print the necessary forms from the website at www.palmdalesd.org, select Quick Links, Welcome and Enrollment Center, Kindergarten Enrollment Forms. If you are unsure of the school your child should attend go to the School Site Locator from the Quick Links section of our website or you may call the Welcome and Enrollment Center at 661.537.6100.
What do I need to enroll my child?
(All documents must be original)Check off:
- Completed enrollment packet
- Parent/Guardian/Foster Parent: valid picture identification
- Student’s verification of age: original certified birth certificate, (baptismal certificate, visa or passport might be accepted if birth certificate is not possible.)
- Proof of Residence: A current (within one month) utility bill (gas, electric or water) showing the parent’s or guardian’s name and home address or final escrow papers or property tax payment receipt or voter registration or current pay stub with Employer’s name and address and parent/guardian name and address.
- Living with Others: If you and your child are living in someone else’s home, please bring a letter signed by that person or a Residency Verification Form, their current proof of residence (as described above), and their picture ID (or bring the person with you.)
- Immunization Records (see below for requirements)
- IEP or Special Education Reports (if applicable)
- Legal Custody or Court Orders (if applicable)
- Foster Placement papers (if applicable)
Immunizations Required for Enrollment
We reserve the right to ask for additional verification if necessary.
Home visits may be conducted by school and/or district personnel to verify your child’s residence.
Any changes in address or phone number must be reported to the school office immediately.
How to Obtain Certified Copies of Birth Certificates
Enclose a check or money order for $28 made payable to “Registrar Recorder” and a pre-addressed, stamped envelope. Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.OR►►You may obtain an “Application for Verification of Birth” form at the Welcome and Enrollment Center or at your local school. This form will enable you to secure the certification of date of birth for any child born in Los Angeles County when other documents are not obtainable. The verification is provided free of charge.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:REGISTRATION FOR LOS AMIGOS OR DOS CAMINOS TWO-WAY IMMERSION BILITERACY SCHOOLAt Los Amigos and Dos Caminos, all students learn to speak, read, and write in English and Spanish. Prior to kindergarten registration, you must complete the regular school registration forms and attend a parent orientation. For orientation dates, contact Los Amigos School at 661.285.1546 or Dos Caminos School at 661.947.1849.LOTTERY/OPEN ENROLLMENTIf you desire to have your child considered for enrollment and attendance in a school other than your zoned school, you may apply through the lottery process. Applications for lottery transfer requests will be accepted January 20 – February 5, 2016 for the start of the 2016-17 school year and can be picked up at any school site. The number of lottery transfers is contingent on the availability of space at the requested school. Enrollment in the requested school shall be determined by lot from the eligible applicant pool.