Classroom Nutrition and Physical Activity Curriculum
- GROW IT, TRY IT, LIKE IT! - Nutrition Education Kit Featuring MyPlate is a garden-themed nutrition education kit for child care center staff that contains: hands-on activities, planting activities, and nutrition education activities that introduce MyPlate.
- DISCOVER MyPLATE - Discover MyPlate is fun and inquiry-based nutrition education that fosters the development of healthy food choices and physically active lifestyles during a critical developmental and learning period for children.
GRADES PRE K-5:
- INTEGRATED NUTRITION EDUCATION PROGRAM - INEP is a creative and fun way for kids to learn about healthy eating in their classroom and to share what they learn with their families. Each lesson includes a hands-on cooking activity that teaches students how to prepare and taste new fruits and vegetables. INEP is funded by SNAP-Ed and conducted through partnerships with the University of Colorado and various school districts and schools from around the state.
- BUILD A HEALTHY LUNCH LESSON - Build a Healthy Lunch lesson explains how students can build a nutritious meal in the cafeteria, showing support for the school meal program in the classroom.
- COLORING CONTEST - Hold a coloring contest where students draw the food items in each of the meal component sections to build their favorite school lunch menu.
- COMMIT TO HEALTH - Foods of the Month nutrition literacy curriculum encourages your community to eat healthy and get moving.
- FUEL YOUR FUN - This a marketing campaign designed for kids. The campaign is part of a bigger effort to help kids eat healthy and be active called Pick a better snack TM.
- JUMP WITH JILL NUTRITION ROCK INVASION - Music and dance to celebrate healthy habits by transforming nutrition education into a live concert. The show uses singable anthems to get students moving and learning about healthy habits. To continue the impact of the assembly in the classroom, Jump with Jill provides free nutrition education resources for educators using cross-curricular learning and multimedia platforms.
- KIDS A COOKIN' & MOVIN' - This curriculum includes 4 lessons, 8 recipes and several video clips, including tips and techniques, and video tours. All of the clips and lessons feature children preparing food, doing physical activity and learning about food safety.
- MARKET TO MEALTIME KIDS - A curriculum that is teaching kids how foods get from the farm to the table.
- READ FOR HEALTH - A curriculum targeted for use with elementary school students. Read for Health uses language arts as a method to teach nutrition and encourage physical activity and healthy eating.
- SERVING UP MyPLATE - This is a collection of classroom materials that helps elementary school teachers integrate nutrition education into Math, Science, English Language Arts, and Health. This yummy curriculum introduces the importance of eating from all five food groups using the MyPlate icon and a variety of hands–on activities. Students also learn the importance of physical activity to staying healthy.
- LEVEL 1 - GRADES 1-2
- LEVEL 2 - GRADES 3-4
- LEVEL 3 - GRADES 5-6
- NUTRITION DETECTIVES - This is a 90-minute program offers elementary school children “5 clues” to read food labels and detect marketing deceptions, while learning to identify and choose healthful foods. It includes a presentation (choice of an interactive PowerPoint or a video demonstration), followed by a hands-on activity to apply “detective” skills with real food packages.
- ReFRESH - This is a curriculum specifically for 4th and 5th grade students. This curriculum focuses on encouraging students to consume more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and being more physically active. ReFresh places the focus on increasing exposure to fruits, vegetables, and whole grains through activities, food demonstrations, and tastings.
- ENJOYING OUR HEALTHY HARVEST - This curriculum encourages an increase of fruit and vegetable consumption through knowledge gain and behavior change. Students also learn basic food safety and preparation techniques in six lessons. In each of the lessons, participants learn how to select fresh produce, clean it, and do a simple preparation, or have a sampling of the varieties of that produce, and discover the nutrient-rich properties.
- DIG IN! - This is a gardening and nutrition curriculum designed for grades 5 and 6.
- SMART CHOICES FOR YOUTH - This is a community nutrition education program of the LSU AgCenter for Grades 5 - 8.
- FUELING MY HEALTHY LIFE - This is project-based learning and technology to engage 6th graders in nutrition education while meeting educational standards for English and Health.
- SCIENCE AND OUR FOOD SUPPLY - Food Safety and Nutrition Curriculum for Middle and High School Levels.