Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack Recall
Verizon has issued a recall in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission for the Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack mobile hotspot devices in use for distance learning. Over the last several weeks, they were made aware that the lithium-ion battery in the hotspots can overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard.
We will be working with Verizon as quickly and efficiently as possible to exchange all Ellipsis Jetpack devices that were issued by the school for an Orbic Speed mobile hotspot, free of charge.
If your device is currently turned off, please turn it on so that the Ellipsis Jetpack can receive two (2) over-the-air, automatic software updates that will (a) enable the device’s identifying number to be viewed on its scrolling screen to help facilitate its exchange and (b) prevent the device from charging while the device is plugged in and powered on. You will know the software update has been applied when you see the device’s identifying number scrolling across its screen. After the software update is applied, users should leave the device powered on while it is plugged in. When not in use, the device should be turned off, unplugged from its power source, and securely stored until you receive your replacement device and packaging to return the Ellipsis Jetpack safely.
Call Verizon @ 1.800.540.4263 to exchange your Ellipsis Jetpack devices that were issued by the school for an Orbic Speed mobile hotspot, free of charge.
As a reminder, and to help promote the safe operation of all devices, please follow these best practices:
- When not in use, turn the device off and unplug it.
- Place your device on a flat, solid and sturdy surface such as a floor or table.
- For proper ventilation, do not use the device in a bed, sofa, chair or other soft surface, and ensure your device is not covered by a pillow, blanket or other item.
- Keep devices near room temperature when in use.
- Use only approved charging cables, including the cable provided.
- Do not expose the units to extreme temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Do not expose the unit or its battery to water or other liquids.
- Do not drop the units and do not insert foreign objects into the battery or unit.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions or concerns about the technology issued to you, please contact your school for support.