MISSION of the English Learner Program:
It is the mission of the English Learner Department is to ensure high, rigorous standards for English learners and to encourage authentic parent involvement in their child’s education and their school’s governance.
|Name||Title||Email Address||Phone Number|
|Maria Barriga||Bilingual Administrative Secretaryfirstname.lastname@example.org||661.223.3306|
|Marilem Castro||District Translatoremail@example.com||661.789.6714|
|Lizbet Dunning||CBET Community Program Liaisonfirstname.lastname@example.org||661.789.6713|
|Ivonne Giusto||Bilingual Instructional Assistantemail@example.com||661.789.6712|
The English Learner Department is part of Palmdale School District Educational Services Division. Our department addresses and monitors the programs and services related to English Learners (EL). English Learners are students whose first language is a language other than English and who are not fluent in English upon entering a school in California. Federal and State law mandate programs and services for English language learners.
- Increase awareness of the role of language and culture in learning.
- Promote research-based, best practices and instructional strategies for use with English learners.
- Encourage authentic parent involvement in their child’s education.
- Provide and promote professional development opportunities.
- Develop cultural competence.
- Advocate bilingualism and Biliteracy.
- Foster an environment appreciative of diversity and intolerant of racism.